Does Your Business Need a Structured Cabling System?
21 September 2022
In today’s internet-connected world, network infrastructure is one of the most important aspects needed for a business’s success. A structured cabling system (sometimes referred to as data cabling or structured network cabling) is a critical component for handling all of a company’s telecommunication needs in the most streamlined & effective way.
With a robust structured cabling setup, it can help both small and large businesses save time and money while increasing productivity and efficiency across the board.
In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about structured cabling and why it’s a worthwhile investment for your business.
Structured Cabling Explained
In simplest terms, structured cabling is the physical infrastructure used to connect all your business devices to an IT network. This includes everything such as computers, routers, printers, servers, phones, and security systems such as CCTV. These cables are used to transmit data between the different devices.
It’s called “structured” because the goal is to keep everything neat and organised, so everything isn’t a jumbled mess of wires and chords that are a hassle to manage. Structured cabling creates a wiring setup that’s both faster and more reliable.
Why Should You Consider Structured Cabling for Your Business?
Transmitting voice, audio, and data is critical for a modern business to survive in today’s internet-powered landscape. If you want your business to remain competitive, you need a network infrastructure that can keep up with the rapid changes in technology. With increased data consumption and more users, it can put a strain on your current network setup. It can have a negative impact on performance or even cause constant network failures.
If you’re noticing these issues or want your system updated to the latest technologies, then it could be worth looking into structured cabling for your business.
Why is Unstructured Cabling an Issue?
Aside from looking chaotic, it presents a host of issues. Here are some of the most prominent problems that come with unstructured cabling:
- It’s a Safety Hazard – With long cords and cables running across the floor, it increases the chances someone might trip over them. It could even become a fire hazard if one of the cables becomes damaged, leaving the wires exposed
- It Increases the Chances of Downtime – Besides tripping and falling, someone could accidentally pull out a chord and bring the entire network down. Even if it’s for just an hour or two, downtime can cost your business substantial losses and lead to angry customers who can’t contact you or receive their service
- It Looks Unprofessional – When clients and customers come to your business, you want to present your company in the best light. Having a jumbled mess of cords and wires looks unprofessional and could put off potential clients
- It Can Obstruct Airflow to Critical Devices – When cables and wires are unorganised, it could block vents on devices such as computers. Cooling is important for helping these devices run smoothly and efficiently. If they overheat, they can start to malfunction or shut down altogether
What Are The Benefits of a Structured Cabling System?
Here are the top benefits that come from an effective structured cabling solution and how it can help your business thrive and succeed.
- It Simplifies Managing Everything – Network cabling can be complex and difficult to manage, but structured cabling takes a lot of the headaches and confusion out of it. Everything is clearly labelled, well- organised, and streamlined. Regardless of how large your operation is, you’re probably going to need to connect multiple devices ranging from computers and printers to phones and routers. And it’s also helpful when things happen to malfunction. Since everything is connected through a single setup, it makes it easier to find and resolve issues when they arise.
- It Reduces Instances of Downtime – As mentioned, downtime can be devastating, especially if you’re a business just starting to hit its stride. Sometimes, it can’t be completely avoided but a robust structured cabling system could mean the difference between being down for an hour or being down for an entire day. Structured cabling makes it easier for technicians to locate the cause of the issue and get your system & network back up and running before too much damage is done
- You’re Making a Future-Proofed Investment – Another benefit of structured cabling is that it future proofs your business. As digital advancements are made, you’ll be ready to adapt and evolve with them. And as your business grows, you’ll have the data bandwidth to keep up with the new demands on your system. Plus, it gives you a competitive edge while simultaneously allowing you to develop and deploy better products and services for your growing customer base
- It’s a Custom Fit for Your Business Needs – No two businesses are exactly the same even in the same industry. And each has its own unique set of needs. Structured cabling takes everything about your business into consideration, such as your floor plan, devices, budget, and more. Since it’s tailored to your specific business, it will save you time and money in the long run.
How Does Structured Cabling Work with ICT Solutions?
The most important choice is choosing a partner who has the experience and skill to install structured network cabling for your business. At ICT Solutions, we’ve worked with a variety of companies and organisations to design and install robust & effective cabling systems tailored to their business requirements. These include sports centres, colleges & universities, schools, office spaces, restaurants, industrial units, and more.
Throughout Liverpool and all of the UK, we offer cost-effective network cabling solutions for all businesses. Whether you’re a large company or an entrepreneur in an office, we can handle cabling for you.
Here are some of the key services included when working with ICT Solutions:
FREE On-Site Audit to Understand Your Business Needs
The first step is having one of our experienced technicians visit your site and perform a survey to assess what you will need. We understand every business is unique, so develop a custom plan specifically for your business requirements. Once the survey is complete, we’ll give you a detailed report of what we think is best and provide you with a quote.
A Team of Fully Certified Structured Cabling Engineers
Our team of cabling technicians are fully certified to install, test, and service the following:
- Fibre Optic
- Integrated Voice & Audio
- Local Area Networks (LAN)
- Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- Secure Area Networks (SAN) We can also install and upgrade your system without disrupting your current setup, meaning you can continue business operations while we get the job done.
We also provide these additional services:
- 24-hour, 7 Days a Week Emergency Fibre Repair
- Fault Finding
- Data Cabling Maintenance
- Network Auditing
- Structured Network Testing – You’ll Be Assigned a Dedicated Project Manager Providing excellent customer service is our top priority. That’s why we provide clients with a dedicated project manager who they can contact from the moment the job starts until it’s completed. This person is responsible for answering all your questions and addressing any concerns you have during the process.
We Offer a 25-Year Warranty on All Our Work
We’ve been accredited by some of the top cabling manufacturers in the world. Some of the manufacturers include Connectix, APC, Excel, Leviton, and more. As such, we’re able to offer our customers a 25-year warranty on the installations done by us. That way, you can have peace of mind that you’re covered in the event anything goes wrong.
Save Money With Us By BUYING Your Data Cables
Other data cabling companies opt to rent out their data cables as a way of making extra income. However, we take a different approach by giving you the option to purchase your data cables outright. In the end, this saves your money and works out as the best choice for long-term operations. And you can still take full advantage of having us as a partner with continuous maintenance and our emergency services.
ICT Solutions: Your Leading Structured Cabling Installers
With over 15 years of experience, we take pride in providing high-quality but cost- effective cabling solutions for businesses of all sizes. We offer our services to businesses and organisations throughout the UK, including Liverpool, London, Merseyside, and the North West region.
Don’t let poor-quality data cabling interfere with your business operations and success. ICT Solutions is here to help you every step of the way– from audits and development to maintenance and installation. Regardless of the size of your business, no job is too small for us to handle.
If you’re ready to get started or have any questions about structured cabling and its benefits, then contact us today. We have a team of friendly & helpful professionals ready to assist!